Are you wondering if roll up garage doors are a better option to install at your home or office? Well, the answer is, “Yes, they are.”
Most people prefer to get the traditional sectional style garage doors for their residential properties. These doors operate using horizontal runners and pull upwards, resting near the ceiling in an open position.
On the other hand, roll up garage doors provide many benefits such as durability, strength, longer life span, etc. Therefore, whether it is your home garage, commercial or industrial property, roll up garage doors are an ideal and efficient solution for all purposes.
Roll Up Garage Doors
These garage doors are also known as rolling steel garage doors. While you may not know the exact name, you may have seen these garage doors in many places, such as shops, rental centers, government facilities, and distribution centers.
Roll up garage doors comprise horizontal steel sheets and do not run on horizontal tracking systems. They use the coil up mechanism, meaning they roll up or down in a coil whenever you open or close your garage door.
You can get two variants of roll up garage doors in the market, which are:
A Rolling Steel Garage Door
Rolling steel garage doors may appear as sheet doors, but they do not operate like them. Instead of having one big steel sheet, these doors have metal slats and most commonly used in commercial high-security facilities, including pharmacies, transit centers, and factories.
A Roll up Sheet Garage Door
These doors have a single large steel sheet and are perfect for small warehouses, loading docks, backyard sheds, and storage areas. If you are looking for garage doors for light commercial use, these are the most cost-effective out of the two roll up garage doors.
Are Roll Up Garage Doors Any Good?
Roll up garage doors are a popular choice amongst homeowners as well as commercial users. There are several reasons why people prefer roll up garage doors. First, these doors have steel sheets giving them the strength to take a good beating without a nudge. Secondly, roll up garage doors are well-known for their durability.
Moreover, you also get protection against heavy snowfall, rain, wind, and hail without any rusting. Most modern-day roll up garage door manufacturers have wind-load certified doors, making them perfect for areas experiencing extreme weather such as hurricanes, strong winds, and hail storms.
You can even get insulated roll up garage doors that can be cost-effective while maintaining the indoor temperature, blocking outdoor noise, and lowering your energy bills. Additionally, the security aspect of having an insulated stainless steel roll up garage door will also help you secure home insurance with lower premiums.
Roll up garage doors take minimal space as they only pull up or down in one direction. This allows you to store things by the garage door without blocking the pathway of the garage door. You can install a roll up garage door for clearance as small as 12 inches.
Other Benefits of Using a Roll up Garage Door
Here are some added benefits of installing roll up garage doors.
- You can get the fire-rated roll up garage doors. These doors can resist combustion for 20 to 90 minutes, which can be very helpful in slowing down the spread of fire.
- These doors are very easy to operate and require minimal maintenance. Thanks to the technology, there are many roll up garage doors in the market that you can now operate using a smartphone app.
- Roll up garage doors use stainless steel sheets. This guarantees a long lifespan of anything between 20 and 35 years.
- You can buy roll up garage doors in a variety of designs, materials, colors, and finishes to match the aesthetics of your home or building. If you are not too keen on stainless steel, alternates are available, such as fiberglass and aluminum.
A roll up garage door can cost you anything from hundreds to thousands of dollars. It depends on the brand and model you would like to buy.
Tips to Purchase Roll Up Garage Doors
If you have made up your mind to buy a roll up garage door, here are some tips you may find helpful when shopping.
- Always find out what your needs and preferences are before purchasing a roll up garage door. If you are looking for a commercial door, you may want to buy the highest quality with advanced features. Commercial roll up garage doors can withstand climate change, extreme pressure, and temperature.
- Always pick a reliable manufacturer and provider. It is always a good idea to pick the most reputable garage doors provider in your locale.
- Remember, safety comes first. No matter how good you are at DIY projects, it is always best to leave it up to the professionals when installing roll up garage doors.
- Keep the maintenance factor in mind. If you are looking for a long-lasting roll up garage door that may require minimal maintenance, stainless steel is a better option. In comparison, a wooden door will require a repaint every year.
Safety Precautions when Using a Roll Up Garage Door
You must always stay on top of your roll up garage door’s maintenance to keep them safe for use. Remember, any fault in the door’s mechanism can end up harming a person or object. For example, if the rotating motor is malfunctioning, your roll up garage door may unwind and fall on top of a person or vehicle in its pathway.
Always keep a safe distance when lowering a roll up garage door and learn to operate your door properly. Do not try to repair the door by yourself and seek professional assistance if you suspect any issues.